Summer 2013

Summer 2013
This gardening blog is written in Bathurst, NSW, Australia.





Monday, December 23, 2013

Well, that's 2013 blogged.

Dear gardening friends,

The long, hot, summer holidays have started, and this will be my last post for 2013. We're visiting family over Christmas and into January and I will be totally ignoring anything internet-related for at least a few weeks, maybe even a month.  It's been a pleasure visiting your gardens and having you drop in on mine this year. Look after yourselves, and let's catch up some time in late January.

Lyn xxx


P.S. Here are some pictures from my garden this month.


Looking across Callistemon Curve to the Mediterranean Border.

Eucalyptus gunnii (juvenile foliage)  and  Centranthus ruber.


A section of Callistemon Curve, mostly mauve and pink.

Morning light shining through the leaves of Iris germanica, Agapanthus orientalis and Canna indica 'Yellow King Humbert', looking towards the yellow/blue section of Callistemon Curve.

Early morning, with most of the Mediterranean Border still in shade and looking a bit blue.

Some of the 150 succulent cuttings my son gave me for my birthday, busily forming roots (I hope).

Penstemon campanulatus, Leucanthemum x superbum, Centranthus ruber and a young Cotinus coggygria 'Grace'.

Chrysanthemum 'Buninyong Bronze' in the Feijoa Garden

Hypericum patulum with Salvia guaranitica in the Sunset Border


Agapanthus orientalis and Caryopteris clandonensis 'Summer Sorbet' in front of a birdbath I made from pre-loved pieces this week.

Salvia forsskaolii growing in interesting curves because I think life's too short to do staking.



Ruby Chard, self-sown in the area in front of the back fence that I still haven't decided what to do with. (Other than harvest chard, zuccinis, fennel, potatoes, etc that I have not put any effort into growing)


Gaura lindheimeri 'Passionate Pink' in front of Salvia x superba (I think)

The amazing spider flowers of Gaura lindheimeri  'Passionate Pink'

Double pink  Nerium oleander in the Eastern Shrubbery

Rosa 'Zephirine Drouhin' with Penstemon campanulatus

Rosa 'Eglantyne' with wormwood, Artemisia arborescens. in the Mediterranean Border


The Feijoa that gives its name to the Feijoa Garden: Acca sellowiana in bloom.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Lyn, oh my gosh, your garden looks so beautiful at this time of the year! I just love it! My favorite photo is the one with the Penstemon campanulatus, Leucanthemum x superbum, Centranthus ruber and a young Cotinus coggygria 'Grace'. I guess it is yours, too, since you made it your new header ;-). I also really like the Gaura lindheimeri 'Passionate Pink', which I put on my plant wish list. Thanks for this very enjoyable post. I wish you and your family Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2014!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. December is probably the month when I have the most plants in bloom, so there is a lot to choose from when I'm taking photographs. Yes, the header photograph is my favourite at the moment, especially because it will all change when the Cotinus grows up and out. It's a fleeting picture. Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones.

      Delete
  2. Love the Guara! Your garden looks amazing. Just looking at your photos is helping me imagine the warmth of summer--as we welcomed 7 more inches of snow here today. It wasn't too bad, and we're used to it. I will miss photos of your garden and I'll miss you. But have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year celebration! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The warmth of summer is getting a bit too enthusiastic here at the moment, with temperatures from 33 to 37 C every day for the past week. By late afternoon, the pale pink rose blooms are all shrivelled up (I didn't photograph that!). But I don't think I'd like all your snow, either. Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones!

      Delete
  3. Your garden is a virtual treat to these already winter dreary, weary eyes! I hope you enjoy your vacation. Have a wonderful New Year, and happy gardening in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos and a lovely garden. That Feijoa tree is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! It really looks beautiful! Happy holidays! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've just inspired me to put Artemisia on my list of must get plants! Such a great foil for the rest of your bed! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I hope you have a wonderful break full of relaxation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for your comments. I won't reply individually because it's been too long, but I'm back now and will come and visit your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many beautiful plants in your garden Lyn, you inspire me. Best Wishes.

    ReplyDelete